Saturday, February 7, 2009

Broken but Fixable

As I sit here I reflect on the current state of our society. So much emphasis is placed on the broken nature of everything. The glass is always half empty. Things will always get worse before they get better and when they do get better they wont be as good as before.

Such thinking is so prevalent around me and I find myself getting sucked into it at times too. I once had a friend who simply attributed every wrong thing in the world to another sign that the times described in the book of Revelation were upon us. This individual is no longer a friend for reasons outside of this, but i find his thinking somewhat problematic. Forgive me for not knowing, but there is a verse in the Bible which speaks to the dangers of knowing exactly when Christ will return. We don't really have a clue. If signs point to the end of the world, fine...but I will refuse to believe things will continue getting worse and worse until I see Christ return and set up shop. I think of how easy it would me to become apathetic towards my faith and improving the world. If there's no hope for a better world, then why try??

I pray that I never get that attitude. May every day of my life be one in which I can say that the world is that much closer to being a better place. With God all things are possible. I dare to say that issues such as hunger and poverty will meet their end in my lifetime. No longer will people be treated as less than people in any part of the world. People everywhere will be able to access affordable health care. The overall attitude of competition and hate will be shifted to a new attitude of unity and love. With a group of people believing this and empowered by the Holy Spirit we WILL see this happen. God will open the hearts of people around the world. We must believe this!

As I see the shattered status of our world, I also can see the similar brokenness in my own life. How often I stray from the path leading me to Christ's cross and his plans for my life. I, like our world, need to be fixed. The only answer for everything discussed here is Christ's blood. By it I am redeemed, and by it the world can be redeemed. May I be forgiven for the times where I neglect this fact.

Definitely will be an interesting couple of weeks politic wise. Will have to wait and see what happens with this gigantic bill. Here's my main problem with it. It is a 900 billion dollar bill!! A site I was looking at said that the world's water problem could be solved for 10 billion dollars! What the heck?!?! With all of the pork that is in this bill we couldn't spare 10 billion to solve one of the world's biggest killers, lack of clean drinking water? This is a true shame if we spend so much on our own country yet forget those in need around the world. I agree that we need to have something like this to jumpstart our economy, but for goodness sakes if you are going to put a load of needless projects in on the bill at least put money in it to help those around the world. We will see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. amen! i appreciate the thoughts. randomly saw this while facebook stalking you (hooray!) and checked it out. i'll be watching you now.... muahaha.

    peace, bro. keep the fire alive ;)

    and don't forget to check out my blog, too, now that i've commented on (and am the first follower of) yours!

    ReplyDelete