Monday, February 14, 2011

"Awe"some

Been another long, solid, good chunk of time since a blog entry. I love writing down thoughts but am sorry to say med school has taken over my life. I eat, breathe, and sleep science. Good news is I'm surviving....it's not easy but I'm doing well. There are still days I wonder if this is indeed where God wants me. I have such a desire to go into ministry someday...I'm interested to see how this will all play out someday.

Other big news is that I'm engaged! Yup, pretty excited about it. I thank God for the wonderful opportunity he has given me to marry someone who not only cares about me but cares about Him and the people he has created. I'm looking forward to having a partner on the many adventures that God will take us on.

I also started to help lead a Bible Study down here in the Verm. (Vermillion, SD for the non-SDakotans). It is a book by Francis Chan called Crazy Love. It is a book that challenges us to wake up out of the status quo that is so easy to fall into as Christians.

The first chapter, entitled "Don't Pray" was very challenging. A key chapter of the Bible that it focused on was Isaiah 6. This is a passage in which Isaiah finds himself in the presence of the holy God. I love picturing the mighty seraphin flying around. Six winged creatures sound pretty BA. These creatures simply exist to glorify God. "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty!" Isaiah is speechless before the throne.

The point Chan brings up and that I find a major challenge for me and others today is that we don't have that Isaiah like awe and wonder before the throne. Think about it, everytime we pray we are stepping into the throne room of God. Yet, if anyone is like me, how often do we have that attitude of total respect and awe for who we are talking to. Now, I'm not saying that every conversation with God needs to be face down and full of "thee" and "thou"'s, but I do think, as Chan points out, we need to keep in mind who we are talking to. It's all about fearing God (no, not the afraid of the dark type fear, but rather a respect for who He is).

I think that once we start doing this, breaking out of the status quo will be easier. God is amazing, no doubt about it. When we realize the magnificience of the person on the other end of our prayers, we will be filled with awe. Pretty "awe"some huh?

2 comments:

  1. About time. Nice post.

    Yes, six-winged seraphim are pretty BA. I think it says so later in Isaiah.

    Congrats again on getting engaged, my friend.

    Let's go golfing sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bean, I've been waiting for such a request. Good golf courses down there? I'm sick enough of studying to take a flight down there. Get back here soon so we can have such in depth conversations in person. I think you owe me lunch anyways :)

    ReplyDelete